|| Home Page | Welcome | Contents | Staff | Support Us ||

Community/Pulse of the People
Date Posted:
3/24/03

The War Against a Nefarious Regime
by: Alex Rabin

The events of recent months will likely culminate in a violent military confrontation when the United States attacks Iraq. In President Bush's address to the nation, he said that if Saddam and his sons did not flee Iraq in the next 48 hours then it would "result in military conflict."

Bush constantly refers to Saddam as a tyrant who oppresses his people and represents a massive threat to the United States of America. Bush envisions himself as the lone ranger who will rid the world of Hussein's nefarious regime. This conflict has the potential to develop into World War three. The reason why this could lead to a World War is because the fighting between the two nations can become augmented and start to involve more countries. Not only is this conflict about global disharmony but also it is the U.S. administration's effort to end global terrorism. If it is not handled carefully, it could transform itself into a clash of civilizations between America, its allies and the Muslim world. The reason why this war can develop into an armed conflict between these two civilizations is because as the war progress other Muslim countries might decide to form an alliance with Iraq and protect their fellow Muslim neighbor.

Since HarlemLive is a part of New York City that has a large Muslim community, we wanted to find out what people in our community think about the coming confrontation.We interviewed people with different views on the situation to observe both sides of how people felt about the war.

Name: Kenny Sani
Residence: Harlem

What do you think about the current situation with Iraq?

I think that indulging in this war is very ignorant because the United States of America is not the only country with nuclear warheads and if we attack Iraq we might pay for it in long run. I also think that Bush is only in this war for the money and make up for his father’s loss in the gulf war.

What is your opinion of how President Bush is handling the situation?

I don’t think that Bush is handling the situation very well and he is acting like he is the lone ranger who was born to rid the world of Saddam Hussein.

What do you think the outcome of the war will be?

I think that the outcome of the war will be bad. I think that Iraq will take revenge if we attack them and we might have another 9/11. Also, I think that if Saddam is taken out of power someone just as bad will take his place.

How will the war affect America?

I think that the way that the war will affect America is it will increase the amount of hatred towards Muslims.

What do you think about the prodigious amount of power that President George Bush has?

What I think about the large amount power George Bush has is that I cannot blame him for having all this responsibility and control though I think he should be using it more wisely.

Name: Roger Brown
Residence: Brooklyn

What do you think about the current situation with Iraq?

I think that that the current situation is getting very serious and a lot of people are going to get injured and killed.

What is your opinion of how President Bush is handling the situation?

I think Bush is handling the situation pretty well and very conservative.

What do you think the outcome of the war will be?

I think that if we bomb Iraq Israel will pay.

How will the war affect America?

I think that war is going to drown the country financially.

What do you think about the prodigious amount of power that President George Bush has?

Even though I think Bush is doing a good job, I think that he has too much power and is acting like the chief of the whole situation. I think that the power should be spread out and then we might be able to make a peaceful agreement.

|| Home Page | Welcome | Contents | Staff | Support Us ||

Back to the top

editor@harlemlive.org