|| Home Page | Welcome | Contents | Staff | Support Us ||

An All-Star To Remeber - Wilt Chamberlain

by Danielle Sullivan

The death of basketball great, Wilt Chamberlin , on October 12, 1999 devestated the hearts of many. He died in his Los Angeles home and was found on Tuesday morrning. Chamberlin's sister reported that after his recent dental surgery,he had lost a lot of weight , as musch asa 50 pounds. The night before his death, Chamberlin was home watching a movie with his sister and her husband when he didn't feel well and headed for bed early.

Chamberlin was arguabley one of the best players in the game. Achiving the honor of making the top 50 players list was just one of the many honors we have to remember Wilt Chamberlin by. He was also the only man in Professional basketball history to score 100 points in one game.

I am just a little too young to actually have seen him play a game live, but I have seen tapes and clips of when he was playing back in his days. To me he was one of the best players back then becuase of his height (7' 1") and his ability to dunk with such ease. In all he was a Basketball great who will be in the record books and in our hearts forever.

If he was still alive today, I bet the basktball stars of today would have loved to play him, so they could prove themselves to such a great player. They would also like to prove a point to the people who want to believe the media hype, that players of Chamberlin's days feel that players of 90's aren't very respectful of the Veteran players like themselves. They also feel as though the players of the 90's have lost respect for the game.

I bet if it was possible for the Iverson's and the Duncan's of today to play the Chamberlin's and the Robertson's of way back then, the Chamberlin's and Robertson's would give the 90's kids a run for thir money.

Here are Chamberlin's career stats compared to Iverson's 1998-99 stats so we can get a feel of what the one-on-one game would be like:

Games Played Rebounds Per Game Points Per Game

Allen Iverson 48 2.3 26.8

Wilt Chamberlin 1045 22.9 30.1

As you can see Iverson is on his way, but I feel no one will be able to take the place of Chamberlin. Wilt Chamberlin will remain to be recognized as one of the many extraordinary people of this Century.

|| Home Page | Welcome | Contents | Staff ||

Back to the top

editor@harlemlive.org